My Blog

20.10.10

Using the GAME plan process

From the beginning of a new idea in teaching/creating a lesson, it can be a long process. Often times the process is meet with bumps along the road that can slow down your plans in creating a new lesson for your students. As I have been trying to come up with new and exciting ways to have them practice test taking, I have come across many road blocks. Even trying to get computer lab time can be difficult. Then when I can get my classes in, I have tried a couple of new learning methods but have come to find out that even though most of my students are heavily involved in this digital age, they have very little to no background in classroom programs. Most of my students are so unfamiliar with programs like Microsoft 2.0 that I have spent almost as much time trying to teach them as it would have to actually teach the lesson. Since there has been little reinforcement from other teachers, they often forget how to use it as they do not get enough practice with it.
Trying to use the technology my students have grown up with and become so accustomed to has been more of a challenge than I thought it would have been. Knowing that not all of the other teachers use computer technology for their lessons and that the computer app's classes are just starting to teach Microsoft basics, I have been put in a tough position with my classes.
An idea I recently came up with to help my students prepare better for their multiple choice state exams, was to have them use an online programs and create an exam themselves. If Ido this once every unit or every other unit, I can constantly reinforce the new programs so they don forget how to use it. This allows them to have dirrect imput into what they have learned and may help them stay more actively involved. Also, with in that plan lies the possibly of allowing them to chose a partner to create a test that other classmates would have to take on the computer program. This will allow for cross curricular teaching and help get them up to and maintain proficiency level standards outlined in the NETS-S.

2 comments:

  1. Karl,

    As a business/computer technology teacher, I understand your frustrations in teaching new technologies to your students. I face problems such as equipment that fails to work or students coming to class that are not focused on learning, and I have to reteach. However, don't give up! The NETS-S is so important for students so that they can be better prepared for future jobs.

    Jeannine Lowe

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jeannine,
    You are absolutley correct about how important it is for their futures! It is easy to get frustrated, but it is our job to do what is best for the students. Even when we do get frustred, leading by example and being persisant in our goals is just as an important lesson to teach our students.

    ReplyDelete