My Blog

9.10.10

Evaluating My Game Plan

As I evaluate my GAME plan I am finding that simply typing out issues that I face help me come to terms with what I am dealing with. I have never been one to write (or type) thoughts. I would always simply just think about what I needed to do in my head, and go forth and do it.
One thing that I have done was talked to the Computer. App's teacher in my school and asked him about their curriculum. We discussed some ideas that could help us both out in the form of coming up with cross curricular ideas. One of which was using and becoming familiar with Microsoft web 2.0 tools. He did in form me that his classes are still going through the basics of the computers, as the 9th graders are a little behind, however, he did assure me that they would be getting into it soon. I reassured him that I will reinforce it through group projects and presentations that will require the usage of their new found knowledge.
I still am faced with the issue of having to give them multiple choice questions. We do not have the computer lab time or the time in the class to give them online multiple choice tests. Even if we did, I do not know of any program that aligns with the state curriculum that has such a program for my subject.
I am not sure how I will address this problem as of yet. It seems so simple, yet I can not come up with a solution that would get my students excited about taking a multiple choice exam that they will inevitably have to take.

4 comments:

  1. Karl,
    If you are wanting to create multiple choice tests for your students I recommend quia.com. You can use it for a month free before needing to pay to use the service but it is a great place to create tests and monitor how your studnets are doing as you get feedback everytime they log on as to what they are doing. You may have to create your own because I am not sure that there will be tests already on there that align wiht your curriculum and standards etc. but it is worth looking into this site or another one like it. It takes a lot of time to set up but then once it is there it is easy to manage and you can use it year after year.
    Gayle

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gayle,
    Thank you for the resource. I will definately check it out. It sounds like a site like that would be worth the time. I may even be able to get my school or department to fund for the site if we can come up with common asessments that the department can use. I appreciate the reference!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Karl,

    Keeping a journal to record your thoughts is a great planning and reflection tool. A journal can be revisited anytime and you can see what worked and what needs improvement. I think it is great that you are working with the computer applications teacher. Our students need more cross curriculum integration. Keep up the good work! As far as finding computer time for your students, the only thing that I can recommend is that you take a class to the computer application teacher's lab during his/her planning period. I do this with other teachers in my school often. Although only one class can benefit, at least some students are exposed to the technology.

    Jeannine Lowe

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jeannine,
    That is a great idea. I would worry a little bit about intruding on other teachers planning time, but I think it could be very helpful for my students to get as much practice as they can get. Thank you for the suggestion!
    Karl

    ReplyDelete