My Blog

13.11.09

Blogging in the classroom

I teach World History and U.S. History for 11th and 9th graders. I believe that blogging can be used very effectively out of the classroom. It would be a great place for the teacher and student to communicate outside of school hours. Teachers can post current and upcoming assignments, extra credit opportunities, upcoming tests, study guides, video clips that may enhance what had already been taught. Videos, articles or short clips can all be posted that supplement what has been taught. You could even post clips of things that will be taught to help your students get a jump start on an upcoming chapter. Most importantly, it would provide a great open forum for students to ask questions to their peers and their teacher.
Obviously, the advantages of doing this are great. This would encourage students to use technology that they may not have used before and it is a great learning tool. For those kids who forgot to write their assignments down or maybe missed a day of school, they would be able to log on and check out the blog site. Fianlly, this would add just another way students can prepare for an exam. They could utilize others comments and questions and take the posted material and study from it.

4 comments:

  1. Hey, Karl! You know, you are right about all that. It would be a good way for students to be able to check on current assignments and future ones, too. I have reservations about getting my students on here at this time, but I would like for them to be able to get on here and see what is going on. I like what you are purposing to do with you site. Can we put other papers on here, like ones we create on a word document? That would be really nice.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like your idea about posting media to your blog. That would definitely make it more interactive and educational. You also said that it would be good for the students who need the homework again. I would suggest that be expanded to include absent students. I know I love using my website for those students who were gone. I hardly ever have anyone come up to me and ask what they missed. Then when they do ask I just direct them to my website but a blog can be just as easily used.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think using the blog to communicate with students outside is a great way to stay connected to your students. If they have a problem with an asssignment it is great that they can just ask you and get a response. Will you set up a time as to when you will check in on your blogs?

    ReplyDelete
  4. By posting your assignments, study guides and tests for students to gain access to outside of school hours is a great way to hold them accountable for knowing what they need to do for your class. It would also keep parents and others informed if you provide them with the link to your blog. Students could no longer claim that they did not know they had a test, forgot their book/notes, and etc. I also liked your idea for posting a video to jump start a lesson. If some students do not have Internet access, when would they see your jump start video?

    ReplyDelete