My Blog

25.11.09

Group Wiki Page Experience

As I recently had the opportunity to collaborate with my peers on a group wiki page, I found the experience to be informative. I was a little skeptical going into it. I was able to see the main purpose of it, but for some reason while the process was taking place of us adding information and doing our own individual parts, I had a hard time seeing it unfold into what I had initially visualized the end product being. However, after the page was completed, I saw the what I had initially thought it would be like. It is a great tool for teachers to share their resources and through the process I was educated on some great resources available to me as a educator. There were some that did not relate at all to the specific courses that I teach, but I could still see the value in them for other educators teaching other courses.
I believe that my students can also gain a lot from a page like this. It not only would be great for teachers who teach the same content in the same school to be able to share information, but also for teachers world wide who teach the same course. This would allow students to have access to the content and have many resources available to him/her. I think that this opens up a whole new way of learning for our students. It is just one way of organizing all of the available information online in way that can be easily understood by our students.

1 comment:

  1. These are all great ideas about the use of wikis in the classroom. It seems to me that you have made a good start in learning to use this tool in the classroom.

    Another fantastic component of the wiki is the automatic history of any edits that are made.

    If someone accidentally edits something from the wiki that they shouldn't, the owner or administrator can reinstate the missing content.

    Also, by using the notes, the teacher can add information in this section that refers to new content. These notes really can stand as a journal of the instructional strategies, process and progress a teacher makes in the classroom.

    BTW, thanks for reading my blog n2teaching Hearts and Minds I appreciate your comments. These are good points that each community must consider as they work with interactive technology in the classroom.

    ReplyDelete