My Blog

24.3.10

The theory of getting our students to generate and test their hypotheses in the classroom is an important aspect in their education. It develops a skills set in which they rely on their self effort, past experiences, and apply that to their new knowledge. This forces them to think on their own and helps guide them through the self learning process. This becomes the building blocks for their mechanisms of learning.
Applications like web resources can be extremely helpful in the classroom by allowing the students to apply the constructionist theory to their learning. By using interactive maps in my classroom in either the computer lab so they can physically work through the assignment individually or on my smartboard so the entire class can observe what is going on, my students are able to use prior knowledge and apply new knowledge to the application. This creates a first hand learning experience that is unique to them and is based on their past experience. By using this method, they are able to see the new topic that was learned and right there in front of them.

2 comments:

  1. Using interactive resources such as interactive maps and the smartboard is a great way to show students how to apply their prior knowledge to their new knowledge. I wish that I had resources like the smartboard and interactive concept maps to help make learning more meaningful and engaging. It would have made a world of difference for me as I approached the world of teaching. In the past, I viewed things like concept maps as boring and dry, however, interactive technology truly does help to make learning come alive.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the idea that your students are actively engaged in the learning process. However, how do you handle students who shut down when they are forced to actively involved in the learning process? I have students who shut down when they cannot be on computers when they want to, not when I want them to. Therefore, I have expressed to me students that technology cannot be an everyday thing in the classroom, we have to acknowledge when technology is necessary and when it is not. What suggestions do you have?

    ReplyDelete