My Blog

31.3.10

The idea of the constructivism learning theory puts the students in an active position in their own learning. It requires them to actively engage in what that particular lesson is. The theory is that the more active that they are, the easier it is for them to process, understand, and apply what they have learned. In my classroom, this theory holds true for most of my students. Using this concept, my students can build their knowledge and understanding together under my watchful eye. They are engaged with a hands on approach and this allows them to relate it to something that they may already know and store it as new knowledge.
This theory however does not work for all students. Some of my students shut down completely when they are forced to be engaged. I have one class in particular that would rather sit there all day and take notes. This means that they do not have to do work. Some of them may not learn that way, but that is not their concern at the moment. Their concern is to stay under the radar. I have a few students who have been diagnosed with autism. One of which refuses to work with other students. He will do anything that you ask of him individually, but will not actively engage in learning with other students. He is able to use other methods of learning and apply them, just not cooperative learning.
Overall, most of my students tend to gain more from working hands on with their peers rather than working by themselves or by direct instruction. As the teacher , it is our job to find the middle ground where all of our students become successful in our classroom.

2 comments:

  1. Karl,

    I agree with you completely. Most students do tend to gain more from working hands on with their peers rather than working by themselves or by direct instruction. However, students are individuals with different learning needs. In first grade, my biggest “issue” with cooperative learning is maturity. Some students are just not mature enough to handle to be in the active position in their own learning. This just requires a lot of monitoring and assisting from me.

    How do you handle a situation, when you ask a student to be engaged, but he refuses? Do you come up with a different activity for him/her to complete alone? Or, does he not get points for that particular assignment? I would think that is probably a case by case question…. But I’m just curious!

    Megan

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have some freshman students who are like that as well. Even with constant monitoring, they tend to get off task. At that point you either put them wiht highly motivated students who will encourage them to stay focused or simply put them with other students who do not want to work either.
    If a student refuses to do the work, I will not give them an alternate assignment (unless they have an IEP and if it is specified in it).
    I usually make my tests from the station work, and let my students know that. This lets them know that if they do the work, they will in fact be getting a piece fo the test. If they do not do their work, then they will miss out on that aprticular assignment and possible points on the test. I dont make anything worth so many points that if a student does not do the work that they will fail. However, if they do not do it, it will effect their grade.

    ReplyDelete